Facebook Cross-Pollination

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shiba Gunichi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Facebook Cross-Pollination

Post by Shiba Gunichi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 am

Selected bits and pieces from Ye Olde Facebooke Groupe (https://www.facebook.com/groups/207263026047917/)

"mori kuroi... the more i look at it the more i like it: no, you get this ring, or no, i'm going to make your military conflict political... lion-sama. i like it a lot, based on what we've seen."- AD

"My initial take!

- You get to declare one military and one political attack. Some Clans are stronger in military, some in political. So in general, you'd expect to have a good matchup and a bad matchup in each pairing (the most extreme example being Lion/Crane). Building an extreme deck pretty much guarantees you a province break each attack... but you have to be able to defend against the "other" type. Building a more balanced deck means the order of attacks is important - say Dragon vs Lion might declare its political attack first, using the Ring advantage to bow or dishonour a good Lion military card to make a military conflict easier. There's lots of potential here around both deck construction and game strategy.

- Honour and dishonour. It looks like the Lion and Crane decks start at 10 - given hitting 0 loses and 25 wins, that sounds about right. the bidding process makes this very interesting. Scorpion will bid high, but some of their card effects will offset the honour gains of their opponents. However, the article strongly implies that most honour gains and losses will come about from conflicts - so while the bidding process sets a baseline, it won't be the core of the engine. If you're playing an honour deck, it won't be as simple as setting your bid to 1 every turn and defending your provinces - you will have to interact. (The Air ring is a particularly obvious choice here, worth potentially 2 honour a turn towards victory). The key difference from military is that you will only have to win the conflict, not crush provinces, meaning you can invest less in each attack (and have more for defense). However, picking the Air ring will mean your opponent has more resources for their own attack than they would do had you picked another ring.

- Fate tokens. The interaction with the Water and Void rings is very interesting. With a built in mechanic for removing Fate via Void without a built in mechanic for adding Fate (after initial purchase) the question about big vs small characters becomes quite interesting - investing a lot in a powerful character is more risky. Imagine a deck with a single powerful character that gets to win one conflict a turn easily... but its opponent essentially gets two free Ring benefits, quickly whittling that character's Fate down (or, say, accelerating their Honour or Dishonour clock very rapidly). Stockpiling Fate between turns makes the blitz vs build balance very hard to predict, as well - buying three cheap guys each turn to swarm the board might give you early momentum... then your opponent throws out three big guys at once with multiple Fate tokens and entirely stalls your momentum (though you get first chance to claim rings, which if I understand it correctly denies your opponent a chance to use those ring benefits for the rest of the game). I expect the chess game of how much Fate you spend relative to your opponent to be a major part of game play, particularly in the early turns, so as to gain board advantage and Ring control without overextending your resources. This in turn will make the costs of the cards in your deck key, in terms of how you plan to maintain board control.

So where does this leave Phoenix?
- We seem to have the ability to play two different Province cards that switch rings about, meaning we can prevent our opponent using their preferred Ring / ensure that we have a chance to claim it.
- We seem to have a holding with built in card draw, meaning we can do lower bids & hence earn more honour a turn without losing card advantage.
- We'll probably be stronger on politics than military, likely with a military edge over Crane and political advantage over everyone else. There's also mention of having generic anti-military tech. Following the traditional course of the Clan's honour decks, therefore, we'll likely therefore have to have some specific meta for Crane in place (though switching conflicts between political and military seems like an excellent starting point)."- Donny

"Another important thing looks like having to be unpredictable at times. Certain Ring choices are favorable for certain playstyles, but you might have to alter or preempt a choice instead of giving free chance to your opponent. I think the spell allowing the change of Ring choice will give us an advantage for that."- BS

Isawa Tasatu
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Facebook Cross-Pollination

Post by Isawa Tasatu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:10 am

Thank you!

Isawa Tasatu

Post by Isawa Tasatu » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 am

I like everything I`ve really seen so far... feel like they have tried to keep the feel of both the card game and story, but just with new cleaned up mechanics. I like how the mechanics feel like a continues balance act between choice. Even if you play a particular style you can`t just ignore what your opponent is doing because your choices can help him on a fundamental game mechanic way not just from cards.

I think Phoenix is going to be very defensive control based, both politically and militarily. And we will have to be able to switch between the 2 based on opponent. Majority a defensive political deck. This is pretty much why I have always enjoyed playing Phoenix. Hopefully we do have the opportunity for a military burn everything equivalent type deck though!

Shiba Gunichi

Post by Shiba Gunichi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Probably take a bit to get there, but I wanna run a Shiba army with flaming swords, dammit! :D